Kevin Levangie joins Kaarina Mikalson to discuss the Canadians who fought in the Spanish Civil War and the organizations they fought with: the International Brigades and the Mackenzie Papineau Battalion.
Subscribe in iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/listen-in/id1354987724?mt=2
- This Time a Better Earth by Ted Allan, edited by Bart Vautour. (originally published in 1939)
“Mediterranean" by Muriel Rukeyser. New Masses
- also published in Cary Nelson’s The Wound and the Dream: Sixty Years of American Poems about the Spanish Civil War, pages 67-73
- Savage Coast by Muriel Rujeyser, edited by Rowena Kennedy-Epstein
- The Battle for Spain: The Spanish Civil War 1936-1939 by Anthony Beevor: Chapter 9 focuses on the White Terror.
- Letters from Spain by Joe Dallet
- The Mackenzie-Papineau Battalion: Canadian Participation in the Spanish Civil War by Victor Hoar with Mac Reynolds. Toronto: Copp Clark Pub. Co., 1969.
- Mac-Pap: Memoir of a Canadian in the Spanish Civil War by Ronald Liversedge, edited by David York
- Renegades: Canadians in the Spanish Civil War by Michael Petrou
- The Gallant Cause: Canadians in the Spanish Civil War 1936-1939 by Mark Zuehlke
Whiteness in Canada:
- White Civility: The Literary Project of English Canada by Daniel Coleman
The Pact of Forgetting/Pacto del Olvido
- "Spanish Civil War victims' bodies finally removed from mass grave." The Guardian 5 May 2011
- "Argentine Court Reopens Franco Probe." BBC News 2 Sep 2010
- The Mexican Suitcase. Directed by Trisha Ziff. 212 Berlin, 2011.
- Los Canadienses. Directed by Albert Kish. National Film Board, 1975.
- “The Spanish Crucible.” Living Out Loud. CBC.