Mon, 12 Mar 2018 09:00:00 AST
Kevin Levangie joins Kaarina Mikalson to discuss the Canadians who fought in the Spanish Civil War and the organizations they fought with: the International Brigades and the Mackenzie Papineau Battalion.
Subscribe in iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/listen-in/id1354987724?mt=2
- This Time a Better Earth by Ted Allan, edited by Bart Vautour. (originally published in 1939)
“Mediterranean" by Muriel Rukeyser. New Masses
- also published in Cary Nelson’s The Wound and the Dream: Sixty Years of American Poems about the Spanish Civil War, pages 67-73
- Savage Coast by Muriel Rujeyser, edited by Rowena Kennedy-Epstein
- The Battle for Spain: The Spanish Civil War 1936-1939 by Anthony Beevor: Chapter 9 focuses on the White Terror.
- Letters from Spain by Joe Dallet
- The Mackenzie-Papineau Battalion: Canadian Participation in the Spanish Civil War by Victor Hoar with Mac Reynolds. Toronto: Copp Clark Pub. Co., 1969.
- Mac-Pap: Memoir of a Canadian in the Spanish Civil War by Ronald Liversedge, edited by David York
- Renegades: Canadians in the Spanish Civil War by Michael Petrou
- The Gallant Cause: Canadians in the Spanish Civil War 1936-1939 by Mark Zuehlke
Whiteness in Canada:
- White Civility: The Literary Project of English Canada by Daniel Coleman
The Pact of Forgetting/Pacto del Olvido
- "Argentine Court Reopens Franco Probe." BBC News 2 Sep 2010
- The Mexican Suitcase. Directed by Trisha Ziff. 212 Berlin, 2011.
Written and Narrated by Kevin Levangie and Kaarina Mikalson Produced by Kaarina Mikalson Supported by the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council Dolores Ibárruri's speech was performed by Maxine Peake, and is from the album Jarama Valley/Brigadista Our theme song is "Libertad" by Iriarte and Pesoa Our outro song was "Peat Bog Soldiers," performed by Luke Kelly
- Log in to post comments